The Missouri Course Access and Virtual School Program (MOCAP) is in the process of developing a course catalog of virtual online courses for students statewide. Students will be able to take an entire course from any Internet-connected computer, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
MOCAP's mission is to offer Missouri students equal access to a wide range of high quality courses and interactive online learning that is neither time nor place dependent.
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and the State Board of Education oversee administration and quality assurance activities such as related content and delivery of courses.
Missouri-certified teachers facilitate MOCAP courses. MOCAP provides Missouri students with equal access to a wide range of coursework, anywhere, any time.
MOCAP allows Missouri to:
- Expand the range of courses and opportunities offered to students
- Offer courses for students where there are no qualified teachers to teach the course
- Offer students a course not offered by their school district
- Provide courses for students who have schedules that prevent them from taking a course when it is offered
- Present high quality instruction to students who are in alternative education settings or on home and hospital instruction
- Provide additional support and extended time to students who failed to achieve in regular courses
- Provides equity across programs and school in the quality of instruction MOCAP offers “any time, any place” learning for Missouri students
The Missouri Virtual Instruction Program (MOVIP) transitioned to the Missouri Course Access and Virtual School Program (MOCAP) as a result of updates to Section 161.670, RSMo. MOCAP's mission is to offer Missouri students equal access to a wide range of high-quality courses, flexibility in scheduling, and interactive online learning. The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and the State Board of Education oversee administration and quality assurance activities such as related content and delivery of courses. Missouri students may enroll in MOCAP courses for the fall and spring semesters. MOCAP is not available in the summer.
MOCAP courses have been through a stringent review process, including:
- Course alignment to Missouri Learning Standards
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0)
- Data security review
- Missouri appropriately certificated teachers
- College Board approval of Advanced Placement (AP) courses in the catalog
For more program information, you may visit DESE (Department of Elementary and Secondary Education) MOCAP page: https://mocap.mo.gov/
The enrollment process for participation in the program will be substantially similar to the enrollment process for participation in District courses. The process may include consultation with college counselor. However, consultation does not include the counselor’s approval or disapproval of enrollment in the Program.
When a District school denies a student’s enrollment in a Program course or enrollment as a full-time Program student, the District will provide in writing a “good cause” reason for the denial. Such good faith determination will be based upon a reasonable determination that the enrollment is not in the student’s best educational interest.
Students wishing to enroll in virtual courses must complete the Request to Enroll in Virtual Courses Form and then submit it to campus college counselor.